Wednesday 13 May 2009

Me, Myself and My Holiday

I got out to visit a sunny afternoon, with the sun setting the place ablaze and with the sweltering heat oppressing the inhabitants, the people walking about were not amused. The humidity didn't help either. With tempers and temperatures running high, the not so cheerful crowd went about their business with the usual enthusiasm of a malnourished cow, a pretty common sight on the country's roads considering the excellent belief that cattle can run amok, with no masters, a jewel in the spirit of India's crown. Apart from the fact that the state we stay in has two governments alternating every four years, with each progressively worse than the other and their valuable contributions when it comes to general deterioration of imaginary infrastructure are for sure not worth mentioning, we also have issues to occupy our minds like general disregard for traffic rules and further indifference for all property public. So, digressing from there with much difficulty, I wanted to say that I finally came home(For those not in the know, I'm from Chennai, previously Madras, which is an urban misfortune in South India), transported from one blast furnace to another, greeting the gush of white hot wind on my face. Every year, academic institutions, at least for now, have the last shred of humanity left that makes them feel that it is too inhuman to torture the students in the peak of summer. So I have two months of pure inactivity ahead of me, something to celebrate, the only oasis in the desert of college life. My itinerary (Thank you, Arun Ram) includes eat, sleep, eat, sleep and a few creature comforts like eating and sleeping all day long. Apart from my packed schedule for the day, I also have tonnes of stuff to catch up on. Parental pressure made yours truly apply for a project, hoping I wouldn't get any, and God's way of answering my prayers was doing the exact opposite of what I wanted him to do. Sure enough, I got a project, something I wouldn't have done even if I approached myself for a project, because my academic records are sure as hell not worth mentioning in the hall of fame. As unlikely as that event was, I now need to potter around at IIT madras, which I'm told is a real college unlike mine, as NITT was actually started off as a parody of government-run schools. Funnily enough, no one got the joke, the place actually got pretty famous and here I am, ranting about the inside story to anyone who cares to listen. Anyway, my schedule of much deserved lolling around has been cut short by a month and I wouldn't say I'm exactly happy about it. Apart from that, these few months will turn out to be as uneventful as possible, much to my taste, or at least I'll make sure it is. You would understand if you were as big a sloth as I am. So, as I was saying, the project might have been a blip in the flawless landscape of my dream holiday, but I'd like to see the glass half full and say I have one and a half months to kill. My tropical adventure at home would generally begin with my finger casually flicking my air-conditioner on, doing the same to my PC, and typing inane claptrap flitting around across my head, playing some games, not the racy action type, but the laid back strategy games that take hours or even days to finish, and general indolence on my couch in front the TV flicking through channels pointlessly. Now that you have the general picture, Do the same thing for the next ninety or so days, slow down time till it inches away letting you savour and revel in every moment that makes you do nothing and you have Me, Myself and My Holiday.

1 comment:

asun ran said...

thanks for giving me the much needed "attention":) u cud ve garnished it wit few more sarcasms ( maybe cos ur prev blog was at its peak!) im sure the one n half months will surely bring one more of "best of arvind's"